Wednesday, March 30, 2011

sciatica

Back when I used to work full-time in an office, I struggled almost every day with sciatica. I didn't know what it was, and I could never pinpoint the pain to tell anyone its origin. Not only did I sit behind a desk for 40 hours a week, but I also had great friends who lived 5 hours away who I would drive to see on weekends as often as once a month. All that sitting was terrible for me. I would constantly try to shift around to make myself comfortable, but I was never successful. All I could tell people was that I had a shooting pain that went all the way down the back of my left leg. Sounds like a classical case of sciatica to me, and looking back I wonder why nobody suggested that could be my issue? But alas, I eventually found out what it was and learned new ways to deal with it. The nerve stayed irritated the whole time I worked in that office, but once I moved to Portland and started teaching yoga more regularly, the pain subsided. It still flares up occasionally, but for the most part I have it under control. Over the weekend, I went to Seattle and spent a total of 8 or so hours in the car. When I woke up yesterday morning I could barely get out of bed, and I had to teach at 8:30am. Ouch. I could not even touch my toes. After I taught I decided to go for a walk through downtown before teaching again at 5:30. By the time my evening class rolled around I was feeling much better, and today I'm back to normal. Even though I hate a sciatic-attack, I have to admit that it can sometimes be a good reminder to be grateful that my body is generally quite healthy and allows me to bend and move the way I do. There are plenty of poses that are suggested for easing sciatica (downward facing dog, tree, staff pose, marichi's pose, etc.), but I have to say the one that felt best to me yesterday was reclining pigeon with the ouchy leg on top. It's the only pose I did all day that I felt took the pressure off the nerve and allowed me to be without pain. I know I'm not the only one who deals with sciatica, so if you have a go-to pose to ease your sciatic pain, post it on here! You never know- someone else who may not have otherwise tried it might be very grateful that you did.
reclining pigeon  












2 comments:

  1. Very glad you have figured out how to manage your sciatica. We yoginis are so wise in the ways of our own bodies! Keep an eye on it... miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel ya girl, for sure. i do that pigeon one all the time, it is definitely the stretch that helps my sciatica the most. when it's really bad & i can't get on the ground (or, more accurately, am worried i won't be able to get up off of the ground), i do a version of it from sitting on a chair. when i had the office job i could do it at my desk like that too, & that helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete