Tuesday, October 5, 2010

tuesday

If ever you need to leave a yoga class early, please do so quietly and before savasana. I can not stress this issue enough. I recently taught a class where two thirds of the students left the room during savasana. This is disrespectful and disruptive not only to your teacher (whether it be me or someone else), but most importantly to those around you who came to class, worked hard and have earned the right to a blissed out and peaceful savasana. In said class, one student left, prompting another to leave, followed by another, and then another, and another, until everyone was up and looking around, wondering if they should be leaving as well.

The worst part of this is that I can't imagine that all of these people really had somewhere they needed to be and couldn't spare the five minutes to rest. I believe that many people have a hard time laying on their mats with their thoughts. Either they feel they can't quiet their minds, or maybe they feel guilty about doing nothing for five minutes, I don't know.

So, yogis- first and foremost I ask that you please allow yourself to enjoy savasana. If you are one who feels guilty for relaxing, or have a hard time quieting your mind, then I assure you: You need savasana! And you deserve it! If that's not possible (you have to get your kids on the bus, get to work, etc.), please, please please please times a million, exit the room as quietly as you can before everyone else starts to relax. You owe that to your fellow yogis.

Namaste,
Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment