Wednesday, August 3, 2011

more smoothie excitement

 I've been extra experimental with my smoothies over the past couple of days, and I'm finding that you really can just toss anything in there and create something delicious. I have yet to make one that tasted bad. Although I must admit, beet smoothies are not my favorite. Drinkable, but not my favorite. Here's what I put in my smoothie this morning (everything organic):
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 5 grape tomatoes (halved)
  • 1/3 zucchini (sliced & halved)
  • 1/2 large apple
  • banana
  • 5 strawberries
  • big handful of spinach
  • splash of rice milk
  • 3 big scoops of plain nonfat yogurt
Start playing around with this and you'll find that exact measurements are not necessary. I bought some baby bok choy at the store today and I'm excited to try it in the morning! If you've never tried making your own smoothies, I'll give you a few pointers.

For one, I buy everything organic. Ever heard of the 'Dirty Dozen' and the 'Clean 15'? The dirty dozen is a list of foods with high pesticide residue, and the clean fifteen is a list of things that are safer to buy non-organic. You can find that list here.

I also avoid buying my leafy greens in a bag. I go to the produce section or my local farmers market and buy them in bunches. Cheaper! I live within walking distance of just about everything, so I don't mind going to the store often. I buy enough fresh fruits and veggies to last only a couple of days so I can ensure that everything is super fresh and that nothing goes to waste.

Surely you can tell that I'm really excited about these delicious and healthy smoothies, and I hope that you can get excited about them too! If you come up with your own unique creation, please share it with me! And if you have any questions, ask me!

Happy blending! :)

1 comment:

  1. I am loving the smoothie thing. It seems I have to drive around to get everything I want to put in them, so I stock up on the things I can keep for a while. I made a kale-avocado-spirulina smoothie and it was nasty. I was trying to be daring and it backfired, tasting like a mixture of fish and grass. I found that adding raw cacao powder to spirulina negates the fishy-grassy taste. My nutritionist said that chlorophyll is one of the best sources of digestible protein. He said, look at some of the most muscular animals out there: horses. bison. cows. they all eat grass. Why shouldn't that work for us? He had a point. Plus animal protein has so many negatives... aside from being inhumane it's loaded with cholesterol and it's acidic which depletes immunity (not to mention all the things added to it that are terrible for us and for the animal). But I am preaching to the choir here. Wow, this is a long comment. I'll stop now. Love you. D

    ReplyDelete