Thursday, April 26, 2012

a natural way to control pain and inflammation

After 12 days on the couch, I returned to teaching this week. I am so blissfully happy to be back on my mat and with my students.

I'm currently in that weird in-between phase- I am walking on my own and have almost regained full extension of my knee, but I'm also just 2 weeks out of surgery and dealing with my fair share of pain and inflammation. It's imperative that I take care of myself now, listen to my body and not overdo it, especially since my surgeon and physical therapist told me I didn't have any physical limitations and I could return to normal activity as my body permitted. I want to get back to my normal life so bad, but I know that allowing my body to heal properly and fully is so much more important.

After returning to teaching and other normal tasks (like walking to the grocery store) this week, I have really been in pain. I've been trying to control the pain and inflammation as naturally as possible because I hate taking pain medication. Last night, after teaching two classes and walking to and from the grocery store with a big bag of food, I was in need of some serious relief and ice wasn't cutting it. I decided to take one of the pain pills prescribed to me. It helped with the pain and made me very tired, but I was still unable to sleep. I remember thinking really strange thoughts, one in particular was about coriander seeds (???). Once I finally fell asleep, I woke myself up after nearly scratching my skin off. Itching is a side effect... how nice. Then I got really nauseous and I had to take a pill for that too. Beyond all that, I was unable to sleep well, so when I finally fell asleep I didn't wake up until 1pm. I woke up feeling completely high, wondering how I was going to make a business call. After talking to my mom for a bit and eating some fruit, I felt a little more normal and made the call. It turned out fine, but after being awake for only an hour and half I fell back asleep again until I had to wake up to go teach. I'm still exhausted, and will go to bed as soon as I finish this drink I made.

Obviously, I am not interested in taking any more pills that will make me itchy, nauseous and restless, so after some advice from my dear Hemalayaa, I came up with this concoction- a natural way to control pain and inflammation. Almond milk, cayenne pepper, turmeric and cinnamon. It's spicy and quite delicious, I hope it helps! It's bound to be better than the icky icky pain pill ;)

To everyone who has wished me well and sent me love during this time, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am so happy to finally be (almost) on the other side of this!

Love,
Tami


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. As a yoga instructor working for Anamaya Resort and Surfing,I
    believe we all should listen to our bodies. We need to understand that
    our bodies are parts of nature and nature always tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete