Saturday, August 21, 2010

fish bowl

If you've practiced with me recently, you may have heard me talk about the fish bowl. It's a pretty interesting little analogy, but I find it helpful (especially when practicing any variation of warrior).

It's quite simple. Let me explain:
Your pelvic area is shaped like a bowl. Imagine that you could fill it with water and place an adorable little goldfish in there (like the one pictured above, let's call him Merv). In poses like warrior two or mountain, we sometimes have a tendency to stick our tailbones out, giving Merv the opportunity to spill out onto the floor. If we tuck our tailbones under and lift our frontal hip points, Merv is safe (and more importantly, we are in proper alignment).

So there you have it. Next time you're practicing with me and I ask that you tuck your tail bone under, I hope you will remember this story and smile.

Have a wonderful weekend! It's a beautiful day for some outdoor yoga!

Namaste :)

2 comments:

  1. yes! and make sure Merv's bowl's rear lip has a delightful little curve above it... that lumbar curve is there for a purpose so don't go giving it away! :) love the fishbowl analogy! keep 'em coming! and yay Merv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tami, i love your other blog but this one here is where you really shine! you passion for yoga is catching... i love it. now, maybe one if these days i will get myself to a class ;)

    ReplyDelete