Tuesday, August 17, 2010

tuesday

Last night I tried acroyoga for the first time at Yoyoyogi, a beautiful new studio here in Portland. I was the only one who was new to acro, which made me even more nervous than I already was. The instructor was sweet and welcoming, as were the other yogis in class. We started in a circle with a chant, then moved into some partner twists and shoulder openers, all while holding hands and laughing (it was fun!). This style of yoga is all about trust. Trusting not only yourself, but your partner as well! So essentially, one person can't do the pose without the other.

I left class feeling a bit out of sorts. I've been a yogi for eight years, but never like this. I can flow like a champ, but flying in tittibhasana on my partner's back (who is resting in child's pose) is a dynamic I had yet to experience. ("My fingertips face behind me?" "Am I going to hurt this poor girl beneath me?") My lovely partner assured me that she was fine, as Lila instructed me to come up onto my toes, and then lift and straighten my legs. I flew for about a second. Nerves got the best of me, but it was still fun.

I remember this feeling from when I first started practicing yoga. First I was nervous, then I was excited, and then I was hooked. I am currently in the "intrigued" stage with my acro practice, and look forward to going back soon. It was a very humbling experience. It's so easy for us to get comfortable with our yoga style of choice and just stick with it, whether it be Bikram, restorative, vinyasa, ashtanga, etc. We become good at it, it's what we know. Branching out, as I learned last night, can be like starting over all over again.

So today I challenge you. If you already have a yoga practice, try something new! Many studios have great introductory rates that make it very affordable. And if you've never tried yoga, give it a shot! You will be surprised at its power to transform your life. And while you're at it- send me an email and let me know what your experience was like! I would love to hear from you.

I have a dear friend, Julia Skerry (of Skerry Art, find her link to your right) who has been coming over in the mornings before she goes to work to practice yoga with me. We keep the mood light, and of course have a blast! This morning, I shared my experience at Yoyoyogi with her and asked if she'd be interested in trying some acroyoga with me. She happily obliged. Here's the video:


Have a wonderful day, and I look forward to hearing about your adventures in yoga soon!
Namaste,
Tami


PS- Come flow with me tomorrow! Two chances:
  • 24 Hour Fitness, Murray Scholls, 5:45 am
  • 24 Hour Fitness, McLoughlin Super Sport, 7:30pm


    2 comments:

    1. I love it! that was so fun and empowering! i look forward to more. You are an amazing teacher!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. awwwww again! y'all are cute. I want some acroyoga!

      ReplyDelete