Sunday, November 21, 2010

yamas

The 5 Yamas (or observances, in English) are as follows:
  • ahimsa (non-harming)
  • satya (truth)
  • asteya (non-stealing)
  • brahmacharya (appropriate use of vital essence, or moderation)
  • aparigraha (non-possessiveness)
If I had to choose one of these yamas as "my word", I would generally say it's ahimsa. From the moment I learned about the yamas and niyamas (restraints), ahimsa resonated the most with me. But today, in this moment, "my word" is satya. I once had a cup of yogi tea say to me, "recognize that you are the truth". I've never forgotten about that, and over the past week I have definitely been rediscovering and reconnecting with my truth.

I'm curious, which of these five yamas resonates most in your soul? Feel free to say just the word, or give an explanation as well. I love getting feedback and look forward to hearing from you!

1 comment:

  1. aparigraha, it was my one new years resolution this year and I had no idea how important it would be as I lost so many things... what I gained was so much more. Rolf always says when you cling too tightly to something you choke off its life. letting go is saying "yes" to grace.

    ReplyDelete