Sunday, July 31, 2011

choose love, face fear

Kathryn Budig talked a lot about 'Aim True' at the workshops I recently took from her. She had a big dry erase board in front of class that said:

CHOOSE LOVE:
HOPE 
EMBRACE
BELIEF
CONFIDENCE

FACE FEAR:
DOUBT
EXPECTATION 
DREAD

I've been trying to apply this all over the place in my life. Not just on my yoga mat, but everywhere throughout my life recently. On Friday, I went to a cute and tiny swimming hole in Washington and I saw these little boys jumping off a rock and into the water. My first thought was something like this: "Oh, that looks like fun! Wish I could do that, but I won't. I don't want to get wet, I don't want my mascara to run, the water looks cold, etc." I know this jump looks pretty puny in the video, but I was scared! I had all these questions running through my head like, I wonder how cold that water really is? Am I going to hit the bottom? Am I going to freak out if I don't hit the bottom? What if I can't find the surface again?! I decided to stop with the questions, put my Marie Claire magazine down and go for it. When I got to the top of the rock, I got really nervous but had one of those "I've come this far..." moments. After all, I did climb up the back side of a rock in a bathing suit with no shoes on and tell my husband I was going to do it. I couldn't chicken out now! So there, I did it. The water was cold and lots of it went up my nose, but it was fun! I only did it once but that was all I needed. In that moment, I had chosen love and faced fear. It's the small victories :)

I challenge you to start applying this concept to your own life. Start small. It might not be a big deal to anyone else, but maybe it is to you and be okay with that. Try a pose you wouldn't normally try, go places you've never been, eat things you've never eaten. Maybe after you've tried something you might realize you don't like it, but in the words of one of my all time favorite movie characters, "that's the way it goes, but don't forget, it goes the other way too."


LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment