Friday, July 22, 2011

mmm...

Green Smoothies: Round Two

I went to the produce market today in search of some more delicious things to add to my smoothies. I have never enjoyed cooking, nor would I in any way consider myself a 'foodie', so my food knowledge is very limited. When I eat fruit, I typically eat something like a banana, apple, strawberries or grapes. Give me a papaya and I'm not going to know what to do with it. Silly as that sounds, I have that relationship with many types of food. "Uhh, do I have to peel it? Cut it? How do I eat it?"

Now, with that being said, I do love to eat healthy things and always have. I just have a tendency to eat like a 5 year old- you know, I eat the same things over and over. If I'm on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich kick, I'm going to eat one every single day for months. (Don't judge me, I only use natural peanut butter and jelly, and a really good multi-grain or whole wheat bread). I've always said if I became super rich I would employ a chef to cook healthy, vegan/vegetarian food for me at every meal. Maybe one day?

The whole point of this blog is to share with you my love of the green smoothie. Super easy, nothing needs to be cooked (washed and maybe peeled, but definitely not cooked), and most importantly healthy and tasty. I got a little inspiration from Tiffany Cruikshank last night when she posted a photo of her smoothie from that morning. I asked her for the recipe and she listed off nearly a dozen things and followed it with, "I just buy tons of fruits and vegetables, whatever looks good, and throw it in my blender." An 'everything but the kitchen sink' type of thing. Easy enough! At the market today I shopped exactly like she said she does. I tossed tons of things into my basket- chard, spinach, strawberries, bananas, avocados, kale, plums, peaches, pears, etc. If it looked good, I bought it. I didn't even know what chard was, and still don't actually, but it was green and leafy so I tossed it in my blender with a bunch of other stuff. Tasted great! (And by the way, most of that stuff came from a local farm on Sauvie Island and came to a grand total of just $18).

Green smoothies are perfect for the person who doesn't like to cook, doesn't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and wants to be healthy. If you don't already drink these things- try it! You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment