Friday, July 29, 2011

something new


If you haven't figured it out by now, I am obsessed with healthy smoothies. I discovered the green smoothie sometime last year, but only in the last couple of weeks have I been making one every day. I try to have it for breakfast, but sometimes it ends up being my lunch. I've been having lots of fun experimenting with new things, and last night I decided I'd mix things up a bit and toss a beet in there. I bought a bunch of fresh raw beets yesterday and boiled them for about 8 minutes last night to soften them up a bit and make them easier to peel. I'd like to have them completely raw, but remember- my blender is a dinosaur and I'm not sure it could handle that. After I prepared them, I stuck them in the fridge. Side note: I like to do as much prep as I can the night before, otherwise I spend quite some time in the morning peeling & chopping.

I was really excited to test out the new ingredient this morning. Another side note, I don't think I've ever eaten a beet in my life, but I've been feeling adventurous lately. Last night I noticed they were quite messy and smelled very earthy. So here's what I tossed into my blender this morning:
  • one beet
  • handful of spinach
  • 2 large collard greens
  • a banana
  • half an apple
  • handful of blueberries
  • two spoonfuls of plain nonfat yogurt
  • a splash or two of rice milk
  • 8 small strawberries
  • 1/4 avocado
Pretty delicious! It's a bit thicker than the others I've been making, but I don't think the beets changed the taste too drastically. The color, yes- but the taste is just a little bit more earthy than the smoothies I've made before. I will definitely be making more of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment