Wednesday, July 20, 2011

green smoothies

Holy goodness gracious, if there's one thing I can't get enough of right now it's green smoothies. I used to make them fairly regularly, that is until I thought I killed my blender (it's a dinosaur and I had been throwing ice in there- not good). Luckily it came back to life and so did my love for the amazing green smoothie. You don't have to have any specific recipe or exact measurements, you can just throw whatever you have together in a blender and make a deliciously uber-healthy treat. Your smoothie should be made up of about 40% leafy greens and 60% fresh fruit. Most recently I've been doing 2-3 stalks of kale, a peeled and sliced apple, 4-6 strawberries, 1/4 avocado, a splash of almond milk, a nice big spoonful of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, a banana and a little bit of agave nectar. I prefer mine at room temperature, but you can pour yours over ice (or toss ice in the blender if yours can handle it).
People who include green smoothies in their regular diets report the following:
* more energy
* less body aches and pain
* normalized blood sugar
* reduced or "cured" insomnia
* increased libido
* clearer thought
* better vision
* regular bowel movements
* less acne
* less illness
* easy weight loss
* reduced craving for coffee and caffeine



Yes, please!

1 comment: